The MA in English (Applied English Linguistics) at The Chinese University of Hong Kong distinguishes itself from other programmes in the field with the following distinctive features:
- Renowned international teaching staff with local expertise;
- Highly focussed courses on aspects of the English language;
- English-only medium of instruction;
- All courses are assessed by 100% coursework;
- Scholarships for outstanding students;
- Convenient schedule with classes on weekday evenings and Saturday mornings;
- A library with an excellent applied linguistics collection, including a rich database of electronic resources;
- Graduates are eligible for the Professional Development Incentive Grant Scheme for Language Teachers by SCOLAR and for exemption from the Language Proficiency Requirement (English Language) by the Education Bureau;
- Exemptions may be granted upon approval to those with relevant postgraduate qualifications.
The programme also aligns itself with the six broad learning outcomes (LOs) of the Department of English at CUHK:
An enriched understanding of literature in English, including its formal qualities and history.
A broad understanding of the variety of Englishes around the world, including multicultural and multilinguistic environments.
The ability to write high-quality English in a variety of styles and registers.
The ability to communicate orally in English to a professional standard.
The confidence and capacity to be artistically creative in relation to producing original literary works, staging dramatic performances, and generally participating in the vibrant literary culture of Hong Kong.
An open and flexible approach to continuing the learning process for a lifetime.