In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should
- normally possess a good honours degree in English or a language-related field;
- display a strong interest and basic knowledge in applied linguistics;
- submit a 500-word statement about their interests and goals related to postgraduate study in applied linguistics.
Preference will be given to applicants who have:
- obtained a degree from a university in Hong Kong or taken a degree programme of which the medium of instruction was English, or
- achieved minimum scores in one of the following English language tests:
- IELTS (Academic): 7.0 (each sub-score should be at least 6.5), or
- TOEFL: 100 (internet-based) / 250 (computer-based) / 600 (paper-based)
Applicants will be shortlisted to an interview (in person or by phone). The interview aims to assess the applicants' linguistic and intellectual abilities as well as their understanding of basic concepts in applied linguistics.